We offer the documented best method for the diagnosis of prostate cancer
– performed on the latest and most accurate equipment.
What do we offer?
Progardia Healthcare is for those who have symptoms / disposition for prostate cancer and who want the best documented protocol for prostate cancer investigation.
We also help for him or her who wants to be at the forefront by completing the country's most elaborate full body scan – or who need a scan of a body part/organ.
Short waiting time
At Progardia Healthcare, you can get appointment for an examination a few days after contacting us.
For the purpose of prostate examination, this avoids a longer course with PSA tests, multiple biopsies, increased risk of complications, waiting times and uncertainty.
Our patient-friendly 3 Tesla MR scanner and ultrasonic systems represent the latest and most accurate equipment.
It is operated and described by the most experienced radiographers, urologists and radiologists in the field.
This means that you get the absolute most thorough scan - performed by the best specialists in Denmark.
We offer MRI scan of prostate, full body and body parts/organs, as well as biopsy and examination for prostate cancer
MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance. MRI uses a very powerful magnetic field and radio waves to see into the body. No X-rays are used and it is therefore safe to be scanned. An MRI scan is very noisy, and you will therefore be offered hearing protection and / or earplugs. It will be possible to listen to music and watch "movies" while being scanned.
An MRI scan takes between 15-45 min.
MRI scan is best for seeing soft tissues, such as the brain and internal organs. MRI is also absolutely great for seeing small structures in joints and the back.
Progardia has a state-of-the-art 3 Tesla MR scanner (60,000 times more powerful than Earth's magnetic field).
We offer MRI examinations of:
- Full body with focus area
- Body parts/organs
Exceptions for MRI scan
Although an MRI scan is harmless, there are a few situations where you cannot be scanned:
- Has a pacemaker
- Has a neurostimulator
- Has a vascular clip on a vein in the brain that was inserted before the year 2000
- Is pregnant in the first trimester
- Unable to lie still during scanning
- Has severe claustrophobia. In mild claustrophobia, a sedative pill may be offered before the examination.
If you are in doubt
Investigation of prostate cancer
First examination is an MRI scan of the prostate. At Progardia, we can offer an MRI scan of the prostate in a 3 Tesla MRI scanner, which is especially suitable for, among other things, the investigation of prostate cancer. We have the latest equipment where we can make high-resolution images for the purpose of excluding / identifying prostate cancer.
All prostate MRI scans are performed with contrast, which is injected into a blood vessel. Contrast is used to be able to disprove / confirm a cancer suspicion of small tissue changes on the MRI images.
After completing the MRI scan, the images are evaluated by the country's leading radiologists in the field of prostate diagnostics. If prostate cancer is suspected, the radiologist will prepare the images for use in biopsy.
If the prostate is normal, a tissue sample will not be necessary and prostate cancer is thus debilitated.
In some cases, it will be advisable to perform a new MRI scan a year later. This is assessed based on the size of the prostate compared to the PSA blood test.
The answer to the MRI scan can be given by letter, telephone or by a consultation with our urologist – the choice is yours.
Latest techniques for prostate examinations
Is there a suspicion of prostate cancer e.g. in a blood test with elevated PSA, Progardia offers a full examination of the prostate with MRI scan and possible targeted biopsy (tissue sample) to clarify whether it is prostate cancer.
The surveys are conducted in accordance with Danish and international guidelines and apply the latest techniques within the field.
Biopsy of the prostate
If the MRI scan gives suspicion of prostate cancer, you will be appointed for an ultrasound-guided biopsy of the prostate, performed by one of Denmark's leading urologists. The tissue sample will clarify whether the area found in the prostate is an expression of prostate cancer or whether it is a benign change.
By placing the images from the MRI scan over the ultrasound image to see exactly where the biopsy should be taken. 2-3 biopsies of the suspected area are taken sterile through the skin. Traditional prostate tissue samples are taken via the rectum and carry a risk of hospitalization-requiring infection. At Progardia, a sterile biopsy is performed through the perineum instead, eliminating this risk.
You will receive an answer to the biopsy from our urologist, who will advise you in relation to any recommended treatment or follow-up.
Expected examination time is 45 minutes.
The overall process of prostate examination is:
- Booking of process with our secretaries.
- Blood test with a new PSA measurement and a kidney number so that a contrast can be given during the MRI scan. The blood sample can be taken by your own doctor or at a local hospital.
- MRI scan is performed. Scanning is handled by our experienced radiographers. A prostate scan takes 25-30 minutes.
- Our radiologists examines the images and prepare them if tissue samples are to be taken.
- You will receive the answer to the survey by letter, telephone or consultation – depending on your preference.
- A sterile tissue sample is taken, if applicable.
- Answers to tissue samples are given by a consultation with our urologist. Then a further plan is made depending on eventual findings.
Our BK Medical® bk5000 and ultrasound systems are operated and described by the most experienced radiographers, urologists and radiologists in the field.
This means that you get the best possible scan the market has to offer – and performed by the best specialists in Denmark.
Full body MRI scan
Full body scanning is a good supplement to the regular health examination and a really good idea if you want to clarify if everything is in order.
At Progardia Healthcare, we offer full-body MRI in a 3 Tesla MRI scanner. This means that you get the absolute best scan the market has to offer – and performed by the best specialists in Denmark.
Whole body scanning is a screening protocol that is particularly good for seeing changes in the brain, spinal cord, sinuses, ears, neck, blood vessels, bones, muscles, liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, spleen, pancreas, bladder and the entire back - from the neck to the coccyx. In women, the uterus, ovaries and vagina are also screened – it is also possible to see any eventual leakage at breast implants.
In the case of positive findings on the whole body scan, it may in some cases be necessary to supplement with further examinations such as a prostate scan.
We understand the importance of short wait times once one has made the decision to be scanned. You can therefore expect that it does not take more than 5 days before you are scanned and then another 5 days until you have a response to the scan.
It works like this:
- Booking of process with our secretaries
- Telephone conversation with our general practitioner Jens Thygesen. This is done to ensure the necessary, individual customization of the MRI scan.
- Scanning is conducted and is handled by our experienced radiographers. A whole body scan takes approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Our radiologists look at the approx. 3,800 images throughout. At Progardia, the images are reviewed by 2-4 different radiologists, each with their own area of expertise. Hereby we ensure the best possible interpretation of the images.
- You will receive an answer by telephone from our general practitioner no later than 5 working days after the scan.
- 3 Tesla GE Signa Architect Air Edition
- AIR Coils for a faster and more comfortable examination.
- General practitioner
- Review by 2-4 different radiologists (doctors) with their own specialty – e.g. neurology, musculoskeletal, organs, and oncology (cancer)
DEXA scanning is a very simple and fast examination, which gives an accurate picture of how the body is composed. It provides e.g. opportunity to reveal whether one is developing osteoporosis or for accurate measurements of fat, muscle and bone percentage, which may be relevant in relation to a weight loss course or in connection with a health examination.
With our DEXA scanner we offer:
- Scanning for osteoporosis
- Full body scan
Duration: 15-20 minutes per scan.
Scanning for osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a disease of the bones, which initially has no visible external signs and is not associated with pain / discomfort. However, it weakens the bones from the inside due to decalcification, which causes porous and weak bones that can result in femoral fractures and collapse of the vertebrae of the back.
The reduction of the calcium content in the bones is a long-term process, which is why it makes very good sense to get a status already at the age of 45-55, as the treatment options are good if it is detected in time.
If osteoporosis is detected during the examination, the further process with Thygesen-Health is planned.
Full body scan
A DEXA scan of the whole body contributes with an accurate measurement of the content of fat, muscle and bone mass.
Many gyms have weights that can do the same thing, but they are far from accurate. A full body DEXA scan is particularly relevant if a health examination has shown that you need to go through a lifestyle change or a training course to lose weight.
A DEXA scan can help motivate and maintain you in your lifestyle change, as the scan can accurately visualize the development in the body in relation to fat and muscle mass.
We recommend that in a process with a lifestyle change or training course, a DEXA scan is performed approx. every 3 months to follow developments relatively closely. This is agreed in consultation with Thygesen-Health.